Emergency Roster: Surge Recruiter
Languages Requirements: Professional-level fluency in both spoken and written English a must; Fluency in one of the following languages Spanish, French and/or Arabic a must.
The IRC’s Emergencies & Humanitarian Action Unit (EHAU) is responsible for IRC’s global emergency preparedness and response activities. The mission of the EHAU is to expand and improve IRC’s ability to help affected communities survive in acute emergencies and hard to reach contexts by investing in people, systems, and solutions to sophisticated humanitarian challenges. The EHAU team achieves this mission through ongoing thorough risk analysis, investing in capacity strengthening of frontline humanitarians, partnership with local actors, offering collaborative support and technical assistance to teams working in emergencies and hard to reach places, and deploying and supporting world class emergency response staff as they help people affected by acute crisis situations.
External Emergency Roster Staff are deployed to support either existing country programs in their emergency response, or to initiate a new program in the crisis zone. The overall responsibility of the team is to rapidly and effectively design, develop and manage the IRC’s on-site humanitarian response to meet the immediate needs of the affected population. Response personnel are also responsible for supporting the transfer of responsibilities and knowledge to the long-term staff to ensure the continuity of IRC programming and operations.
The Emergency Surge Recruiter will be deployed or work remotely in supporting an emergency response or a scale up of any existing country program. The Emergency Surge Recruiter is charged with finding the most qualified candidates, who believe in IRC’s mission and are representative of the countries and regions in which we work. S/he is responsible for guiding candidates through our hiring process and connecting them to opportunities to work at IRC. S/he is creative and driven, with an interpersonal savvy that allows development of lasting relationships with both candidates and hiring managers.
From generating a talent pipeline and rosters, to maintaining a successful offer acceptance rate, s/he manage the entire recruitment process, and by leveraging their knowledge of our programs’ hiring needs and search requirements, s/he effectively match candidates with the roles in which they will be most successful.
Length of Assignment: Occasional employee Roster, P/T
• Be prepared to be deployed within 72 hours (when needed)
• Under the supervision of the in-country HR Lead or Emergency Response Country Director; fill international and national vacancies, emergency positions, and provide emergency surge support
• Oversee full-cycle recruitment process and directly recruit positions; develop candidate rosters, employ traditional sourcing strategies, actively network and employ innovative, creative recruiting methods to hire the best talent
• Ensure all recruitment activities are carried-out in adherence to the IRC Global Policies & Procedures
• Generate Global Recruiting reports for back-up support to other regions at IRC within the Global Recruiting team as needed
• Develop a deep and detailed understanding of IRC’s programs and operations in order to effectively recruit best talent
• Work closely with the Emergency HR Team and Global Talent Acquisition Team on major projects related to the function
• Develop and maintain a collaborative relationship with key global stakeholders internally and externally including country program HR staff and recruiting teams, regional teams, Senior Leadership Team members, Talent Acquisition Team, partners, universities, peer agencies, and private sector
• Promote the International Rescue Committee brand as an employer of choice in the respective region
• Expand the capacity of hiring managers and new HR or recruitment staff to identify talent via improved interview skills & ability to specify critical needs
• Utilize local job boards in emergency response / scale up countries, oversee social media initiatives and apply innovative sourcing methods to support recruiting objectives
• In collaboration with the local Human Resources department, represent IRC at industry related career fairs, conferences, seminars and other relevant industry events as and when necessary
• Travel to field sites, attend various HR meetings, and partner with local schools/universities to build a solid reputation to promote IRC’s open positions and work around various regions
• Attend to other recruitment responsibilities as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business, human resources or related field or equivalent professional experience.
Work Experience: 3-5 years of experience in recruitment/talent acquisition required; experience in an international NGO context desired
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Demonstrated experience and ability to create, implement, maintain and improve recruitment strategies and systems in a high-volume context
• Proven experience in hiring senior level positions and experience in mass recruitment initiatives
• Strong project management and organizational skills as well as interpersonal skills are necessary
• Ability to work in a fast paced/changing, deadline-oriented environment
• Experience with applicant tracking systems, job boards and social media to attract talent
• Solid presentation and communication skills; ability to convey information effectively
• Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage situations diplomatically and to effective resolution
• Very strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required
• Excellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to provide excellent client service in a cross cultural context
• Diplomatic and strong acumen in establishing positive working relationships with employees and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity
• Flexible work attitude: Be flexible and yet focused & reliable in an environment of changing demands;
• Availability and willingness to travel to regional and international locations (at extreme short notice (within 72 hours) in case of emergencies);
• Professional-level fluency in spoken and written English; fluency in Spanish, French and/or Arabic a must.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Respect at Work, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.