Economist/Sr. Economist - ICDMM (Contractual)
Application deadline 2 days ago: Tuesday 31 Jan 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
The Macro-Modelling and Monetary Division (ICDMM) of the IMF’s Institute for Capacity Development (ICD) has openings for two Economist/Senior Economist positions. The Forecasting and Policy Analysis System (FPAS) technical assistance practice of ICD is seeking to fill several Economist positions in Washington, D.C.
The selected candidates are expected to work with ICD staff on advancing the FPAS practice and participate in ICD technical assistance (TA) missions. The tasks primarily involve:
Develop model-based macroeconomic frameworks—simple spreadsheets, backward-looking models, and particularly new Keynesian semi structural (gap-based) models and larger micro-founded general equilibrium (DSGE) models—for FPAS projects (primarily for capacity development in policy analysis and forecasting inside Central Banks or Ministries of Finance).
The emphasis will be on provision of TA in the use of short- to near-term forecasting tools, and core medium-term forecasting (semi-structural type models, primarily the policy Quarterly Projection Models).
Integrate the models with user-friendly interfaces in other software packages and spreadsheets.
Contribute to implementing a model-based framework for macroeconomic analysis and forecasting in central banks and ministries, calibrating it to selected countries, and training officials in operating, maintaining and updating toolkits.
Advising central banks and ministries about establishing their data management, analytical and forecasting processes, and integrating them in the policy-decision making process and internal and external communications.
Support ICD’s broader capacity development agenda, including through helping develop new related training and workshop material.
Participating in training and TA activities, including joining training and TA missions to member countries.
- An advanced university degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, or a related field with at least 4 years of relevant professional experience in a relevant field.
- Practical experience (at least 2-3 years) in developing and operating macroeconomic models, ideally gained in Central Banks or Ministries of Finance or Economy, including at the technical level.
- A solid knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques and related software, particularly in MATLAB (specifically, DYNARE and IRIS toolboxes) and EViews.
- Practical experience in delivering TA on macroeconomic modeling and forecasting including semi-structural gap and DSGE models, would be a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a flexible and cooperative attitude, and the ability to work effectively with people at all levels.
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential, working knowledge of another language (including Arabic, French, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese) would be an asset.
- The successful candidate will be expected to work both independently and in teams and must be flexible and able to work on tight deadlines. Superior time/project management skills are essential.
- It is expected that the successful candidate will take up his/her position as soon as possible.
This is a one-year contractual appointment. Contractual appointments at the IMF are renewable for up to four years of cumulative contractual service, pending incumbent's performance, budget availability, and continuous business need.
ICDMM Institute for Capacity Development Macro Modelling and Monetary DivisionHiring For:
A11, A12, A13, A14The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including age, creed, culture, disability, educational background, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, nationality, race, religion and beliefs, and sexual orientation.