Content Editor and Quality Assurance Advisor (Consultant)
Application deadline 11 days ago: Thursday 26 Jan 2023 at 16:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a Professional contract (NRC) contract. More about Professional contract (NRC) contracts.
ACAPS is looking for a part-time consultant (homebased) to contribute to quality improvement in our analysis production process.
Start date: 1st February 2023 Duration: 6 months, extendable. Minimum 2 days per week (40%) and more to be agreed on an ad hoc basis. Payment based on monthly invoices specifying actual days worked. Reporting to: ACAPS Quality Assurance Coordinator Eligibility: Only registered consultants can apply
Purpose of the position Supervised by the Quality Assurance (QA) Coordinator, this role is to provide reviewing services to ACAPS, and contribute to quality improvement in the analysis production process.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Review content of products for quality and depth of analysis, and clarity of messaging and communications, ensuring optimal use of data visualisation, mapping and infographics.
Contribute to quality improvement by advising the QA coordinator, liaising with production teams and contributing to guiding documents
Specific tasks related to content-editing- Planning: liaise regularly with the QA coordinator in order to allocate requests for content editing.
- Editing: Review texts and visuals for narrative flow, consistency, and accuracy. Suggest improvements to content: identify gaps in information, outdated information, missing explanations, unclarity in structure….
- Liaising with the analysis team/authors to resolve any inconsistency or ambiguity.
- Be available to discuss and amend any corrections after submitting the review.
- Liaise with other editors in order to consolidate views and harmonize the approach.
Track the time spent on each report, and update the AirTable dedicated time-tracking base
Specific tasks related to the quality assurance process- Help update QA tools and guidelines such as the Style Guide, the key terminologies document etc in order to ensure consistency in ACAPS style and contents.
- Support on-boarding and training sessions upon request
Advise ACAPS QA Coordinator on quality challenges and steps for improvement
Perform other duties in the organisation as appropriate- Available to edit Briefing Notes at short notice, including outside office working hours, and other urgent publications, exceptionally.
DeliverablesThe Content-editor is supporting all analysis units across the organisation. The required support, deliverables and number of days will be agreed with each Product Manager and the QA coordinator.
Skills and qualifications - Master degree level, preferably in International Development, Humanitarian Action, International relations or equivalent
- Native English speaker; excellent English-language writing skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the humanitarian system; preferably with an experience of humanitarian projects management in a crisis affected area
- At least five years of experience in humanitarian analysis.
- Experience editing technical or research papers.
- Experience in Quality Assurance is a plus
- Demonstrated analytical skills and written clarity, including ability to understand complex concepts and problems and synthetize information.
- Critical thinking and attention to details.
- Able to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and turn around material rapidly.
- Outstanding coordination, communication, and inter-personal skills, including capacity to persuade and influence others, convey information effectively, as well as working with others
- Knowledge of standard ICT office support tools
ACAPS is dedicated to improving analysis of humanitarian needs in complex emergencies and crises. We are independent of specific operational and sectoral agendas or interests, and therefore guarantee objective and evidence-based analysis. Our team supports the humanitarian community by providing up-to-date information on more than 40 key crises around the globe. This enables crisis responders to better understand and thereby better address the needs of the affected population, and at the same time strengthening the information and analysis ecosystem. www.acaps.org