Consultant: Common Premises Capital Financing Specialist
Application deadline in 7 days: Sunday 31 Jan 2021
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
General Assembly resolution 72/279 on the repositioning of the UN development system placed the focus on improving the overall effectiveness, accountability and cohesion of the UN development system’s collective results on the ground. Specifically, the report cited six initial but non-exhaustive potential areas for consolidation of business operations including: …increase the proportion of UN common premises to 50 per cent by 2021…”;
The establishment of Common Premises globally requires considerable upfront funds to cover for construction, refurbishment, moves, early lease terminations etc and resources to design and manage the projects at the country level.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Facilities and Administrative Services and with the direct reporting to the Task Team on Common Premises and Facilities Services (TTCP+FS) and the UN DCO Country Business Strategy Section (CBSS), the Consultant will develop a business case for a UN wide capital budget needed to achieve the common premises goal.
The consultant will develop governance mechanisms and operational guidelines for a UN wide capital budget, including guidance on the potential use of the fund and will develop an approach and engage with stakeholders on potential sources of funding and funding mechanisms.
How You Can Make a Difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young’s person potential is fulfilled. UNFPA is leading the efforts in the Task Team on Common Premises and Facilities Services (TTCP+FS) on establishing a UN wide capital budget to achieve the goal of 50% common premises UN wide.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction. UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results. We need staff who are transparent and exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence.
The Consultant will work with the TTCP+FS lead for resources mobilization and the UN DCO Country Business Strategy Section (CBSS) on the analysis of funds requirement, business case development and governance mechanisms for the development of a capital fund. Furthermore, the consultant will work on the approach and engagement with stakeholders on potential sources of funding and funding mechanisms.
You Would Be Responsible for:
- Analyze the funding needs of the UN system to be able to achieve 50% common premises as requested by the Secretary General.
- Develop a business case for a UN wide capital budget needed to achieve the common premises goal.
- Develop governance mechanism and operational guidelines for a UN wide capital budget, including guidance on the potential use of the fund (which projects are eligible).
- Develop principles for the funding and payment mechanism of the capital budget.
- Liaise with financial institutions, pension funds and other donors to assess funding options for the capital budget.
- Assess the risks of such a budget and develop risk mitigation measures accordingly.
- Assess the financial component of the Public Private Partnership mechanism that was applied to some common premises projects and make recommendations on the position of the UN.
- Assist the Task Team on Common Premises and Facilities Services with technical expertise, document preparation, communications, engagement and coordination with potential stakeholders in funding provision.
- Contribute to the efficiency reporting calculations and methodology for already existing common premises
- Contribute to Branch’s communication on internal communication platforms, such as the UNSDG website updates, Yammer groups, and SharePoint and other means of community engagement.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the financing industry with a concentration on real estate financing.
- UN experience and knowledge of global real estate and financing markets is an asset.
- Previous experience with international organizations is an advantage
- Masters degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics or related fields.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Analytic capacity and demonstrated ability to process, analyze and synthesize complex, technical information in the area of finance, capital funding and investment;
- Planning, organizing and multitasking;
- External and internal relations and advocacy.
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships;
- Communicating for impact
Compensation and Benefits This position offers an attractive remuneration, paid in a monthly basis
Duration: 6 months
Note to applicants:
UNFPA is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fees in connection with the application on recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates can submit their CVs/Resume and Cover Letter to the email: email@example.com, with "Consultant: Common Premises Capital Financing Specialist" in the subject by 31 January 2021.