AmeriCorps VISTA Leader
Founded in 1965, Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) is a federal national service program designed to provide needed resources to nonprofit organizations and public agencies to increase their capacity to lift Americans out of poverty. In 1993, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs, housed at the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). AmeriCorps VISTA supports efforts to alleviate poverty by recruiting Americans 18 years and older from a diverse range of backgrounds to dedicate a year of full-time service with a sponsoring organization ("sponsor") to create or expand programs designed to empower individuals and communities in overcoming poverty.
Join the Volunteer Empowerment Project (VEP) as our VISTA Leader! Based out of the beautiful Salt Lake City, UT, this position works with 15+ year-long VISTA members, and 10+ summer associates serving at three nonprofits throughout the state of Utah: the International Rescue Committee, United Way of Utah County, and United Way of Northern Utah. Each VEP VISTA has a unique assignment description with time-bound objectives that expand community-facing programming and build capacity at their respective sites. VISTAs in our project provide indirect service that focuses on bolstering education, economic empowerment, and healthy living initiatives. Members of the VISTA cohort perform activities ranging from volunteer coordination, community and partnership outreach, communications and social media, expanding Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), and more.
The VEP VISTA Leader works closely alongside each VISTA member to better equip them with the knowledge and tools to succeed during their service. As an educator, mentor, liaison, and resource provider, the VISTA Leader support the VISTA cohort by centering mental health and well-being; highlighting opportunities for professional development; and cultivating an overall environment of learning, encouragement, and open communication. NOTE: This position is based out of the International Rescue Committee office in SLC, UT, and will operate in a hybrid work environment for the foreseeable future. All applicants MUST have prior service experience through a full term of AmeriCorps State and National, AmeriCorps NCC, AmeriCorps VISTA, or Peace Corps to be eligible for this position. There are no exceptions for this requirement. All interested candidates must also submit an AmeriCorps application. Any offer will be contingent upon passing an FBI criminal background check. Additional benefits include a $300 monthly housing subsidy and more perks offered through the IRC.
Duties for the VISTA Leader include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Support VISTA recruitment through community outreach and candidate screening
● Facilitate quarterly VISTA supervisor trainings
● Provide first day orientation and onboarding for new VISTAs
● Become familiar with each VISTA position and provide ongoing 1-on-1 coaching via individualized member development plans, quarterly assessments, etc.
● Coordinate monthly VISTA meetings, volunteer service projects, and networking sessions
● Deliver high impact professional development trainings with diverse quest speakers
● Continue the development of monthly VISTA and supervisor newsletters to highlights VISTA accomplishments, upcoming opportunities, and relevant tips
● Collect and analyze grant reporting data monthly
● Ensure timely and accurate compliance of time sheet submissions and time off requests
● Maintain VISTA member retention, motivation, success, and alumni engagement
Key Working Relationships:
Position reports to the Deputy Director of Programs.
Standard work environment and regular office hours. Position based out of Salt Lake City, currently with a hybrid work schedule.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits:
● Financial Support
o Monthly “living allowance” of $1,450 (pre-taxes) paid in biweekly installments.
● End-of-Service Benefit
o This is a full-time contract and commitment for the course of one year (365 days). Upon successful completion of the contract, the AmeriCorps VISTA member will receive one of two end-of-service benefits: 1) Segal AmeriCorps Education Award equivalent to $6,345 (to be used to pay for education costs at eligible institutions of higher education, for educational training, or to repay eligible student loans), OR 2) a $1,800 Cash Stipend.
● Healthcare Benefit
o Limited options provided through International Medical Group.
o Visit https://americorpsvista.imglobal.com/ for more information.
● Leave Benefits
o 10 national holidays (observed by the IRC)
o 10 personal days
o 10 medical days
o Extended medical leave (up to 5 days)
o Parental leave for birth/adoption (up to 10 days)
o Emergency leave for critical illness or death of immediate family member (up to 5 days)
● Travel (if relocating from 50 or more miles away from Salt Lake City)
o Relocation Travel Allowance: Based on the direct mileage ($0.40/mile) between permanent home of record and the IRC.
o Settling-In Allowance: $750 (pre-taxes) intended to help with initial expense deposits and utilities.
o Close-of-Service Allowance: Same amount as Relocation Travel Allowance if moving back to permanent residence once service year is completed.
● Childcare Assistance
o Up to $400/month per child under the age 13. Paid directly to qualified childcare provider(s).
o Visit https://www.americorpschildcare.com/ for more information.
● To learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA benefits, visit
● Must be able to clear an FBI Criminal Background Check
● Undergraduate degree preferred
● Demonstrated multi-cultural experience, or experience working with refugees or other vulnerable populations, preferred
● Highly organized and detail-oriented, with ability to prioritize, plan and manage time efficiently
● Patience, flexibility and a good sense of humor
● Professional, friendly and courteous attitude
● Motivated, diligent, with ability to work independently
● Proficient in Microsoft and Google Suites
● Commitment to the missions of the IRC and AmeriCorps
NOTE: In order to be considered, all interested candidates for this AmeriCorps VISTA member position should also create an AmeriCorps portal profile and fill out an AmeriCorps-specific application. Search listing for “Volunteer Empowerment Project” in Utah.