Advisor, Information Systems and Vital Statistics
Application deadline in 8 days: Friday 7 Apr 2023 at 21:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a P-4 contract. This kind of contract is known as Professional and Director staff. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's a staff contract. It usually requires 7 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be between 148,736 USD and 191,764 USD.
Salary for a P-4 contract in Washington D.C.The international rate of 90,970 USD, with an additional 63.5% at this the location, applies.
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about P-4 contracts and their salaries.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Department of Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health (EIH) is responsible for leading the Organization into the modern era of information for health, including data management, forecasting and scenario setting, using cutting edge information technology. EIH will be responsible for setting models, norms and standards for strengthening governance mechanisms for information systems for health in line with the Organization’s policies and strategies for integrated and interoperable systems. The Department will also coordinate the monitoring of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and measurement of inequity and inequality in health. The Department will gather and provide strategic information and intelligence to develop and support the implementation of evidence-based policies and sound decisions on public health matters in collaboration with all Pan American Sanitary Bureau (PASB) entities, Member States and partners. EIH will coordinate internal PASB efforts, and collaborate with WHO, and other UN and Inter-American system agencies to support the needs of Member States and the Secretariat in the areas under its responsibility.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general guidance of the Director, Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health (EIH), and the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor, Information Systems for Health (EIH/IS), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Provide technical, strategic and programmatic advice and guidance for the strengthening of information systems for health to support Member States in decision and policy making in health;
- Provide technical support in vital and health statistics to national authorities and technical programs, with emphasis on the use of new technologies for improving the management of all data cycles;
- Collaborate in the design and execution of regional, subregional and national technical and training materials related to the implementation of the different components of the Family of International Classifications of Diseases (FIC) with emphasis on the ICD-11 implementation;
- Collaborate with governments of the countries of the region and with Collaborating Centers for FIC in the effective utilization of the ICD, transition from previous versions, and in particular with its interconnection with Electronic Health Record Platforms;
- Participate in the development and/or adoption of standards to increase comparability and validity of health statistics;
- Participate in the implementation of the Regional Plans such as Vital and Health Statistics, Information Systems for Health and the Roadmap for the Digital Transformation of the Health Sector;
- Coordinate the work of Collaborating Centers that provide support t to related topics in the Region;
- Provide technical advice in the context of the Information Systems for Health (IS4H) Framework and the digital transformation roadmap; support and provide advice on project development and program activities required for the development and implementation of digital health solutions, following the technical direction of the Senior Advisor, Information Systems for Health;
- Support technical cooperation programs and strategies to strengthen national capacities in the Region for the design, adoption, implementation, and evaluation of information systems and civil registration systems for health using information and communication technologies in promoting the use of international standards for interoperability;
- Collaborate in the development and reinforcing of alliances and networks that contribute to the strengthening of the Digital Transformation process (such as the Latin American and Caribbean Network for Strengthening Health Information Systems);
- Provide in-depth advice on technologies and internationally recommended best practices related to optimizing the implementation and overall functioning of interoperable systems and databases;
- Provide technical advice to ensure the convergence of regional plans within the context of the Global Strategy on Digital Health 2020-2025, the UN Roadmap for Digital Cooperation and the UN Secretary General Data Strategy;
- Formulate study designs, surveys, and other approaches that contribute towards the adoption of standards for interoperability;
- Provide technical cooperation and support to improve the analytical use of public health information and civil and vital registration systems;
- Participate in the preparation of the Unit’s Biennial Work Plan (BWP), budget and technical evaluation reports;
- When called upon to directly supervise staff, establish clear work objectives, conduct timely and effective performance appraisals, provide coaching and feedback, and support staff development opportunities;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in a social or health science, information systems, systems engineering or related field and a master’s degree in public health, medical informatics, epidemiology, statistics or in any of the fields related to the functions of the position, from a recognized university.
Desirable: A PhD degree in any of the fields listed above would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Nine years of combined national and international experience in designing, implementing, managing and/or assessing health information systems, digital health strategies, public health data platforms, vital statistics and projects with high level of focus on interoperability.
Desirable: Demonstrated experience with digital literacy programs and emerging technologies applied in health such as artificial intelligence, machine learning and blockchain would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work****: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences****: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity - Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork****: Collaborate and cooperate with others - Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve and build rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the team’s successes and shortcomings.
- Communication****: Write effectively/Share knowledge - Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
- Producing Results****: Work efficiently and independently/Deliver quality results - Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit.
- Ensuring effective use of resources****: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well - Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
- Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond****: Develop networks and partnerships and encourage collaboration - Builds and negotiates strategic partnerships and alliances with a wide range of key stakeholders to ensure Organizational results and success. Creates innovative opportunities for promoting synergies inside and outside the Organization to improve Organizational success.
- Expertise in the development and evaluation of Civil and Vital Registration systems.
- Practical expertise in developing and implementing strategies for data management (including quality, timeliness, etc.) and coverage.
- Expertise in developing and evaluating different sources of structured and non-structured data from HIS (e.g. routine information systems, censuses, surveys, and big data as feasible, among others).
- Expertise in implementing behavioral sciences and infodemic management initiatives.
- Expertise in implementing digital literacy programs.
- Knowledge and skills for assessing and developing strategic and operational plans for strengthening HIS (taking into consideration key aspects for HIS, such as key components, organizational structures, and mechanisms).
- In-depth knowledge and use of practices for training and developing standards related to the implementation of HIS and data management.
- Demonstrated skills in coordinating the preparation and compilation of technical materials and written outputs for inclusion in publications or other health or social science-related initiatives.
- In-depth knowledge of International Classification Disease (ICD); mortality data analysis, analysis of the diseases included in the SDG as well as knowledge of health information and vital registration systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills: diplomacy, tact and ability to effectively communicate with senior level officials, multiple stakeholders and professionals from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Strong professional oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively across multi-disciplinary areas, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Very good knowledge of Spanish or English, with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese will be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively manage digital health solutions and related applications (such as decision support systems, among others) and knowledge of relevant electronic systems and/or platforms for health information systems, electronic medical records, data management for health, and other relevant areas. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as ArcGIS would be an asset.
Annual Salary****: (Net of taxes)
USD $77,326.00 post adjustment
Post Adjustment****: 63.5% of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level****.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
PAHO/WHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
PAHO/WHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
PAHO/WHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity. PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
PAHO/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy.
Candidates appointed to an international post with PAHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.